Thursday, January 17, 2008

Aval Vilayichathu - my version


Remembering mattemma led to my trying my hand at one of her numerous masterpieces...since I have only tasted the food , and had no part whatsoever in the preparation, I had to make it without a recipe and with whatever was at hand..

1 tbsp ghee
1 tsp black sesame seeds
1/4 tsp powdered cardamom
2 cups aval (beaten rice)
250 gms Jaggery
1/4 coconut grated

heat ghee, add the sesame seeds, add a spoon of water and dissolve the jaggery completely. add the powdered cardamom and stir.Slightly sprinkle water over aval till it loses the rigidness. Do not soak Aval too much. Add the Aval into the jaggery and stir till evenly coated....before taking off the fire, add the grated coconut...

Extra jaggery maybe added according to your sweet tooth....

Garnish with Slices of bananas and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Swapna,
    Welcome to pedatha.com. You have a lot of superb interests like books, ancient scriptures, and art, also cooking. This recipe looks so tasty, I am going to try it soon. Pls do state what Mattemma means on your blog :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pritya...I am happy to join you people

    ReplyDelete