Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Semiya payasam (Vermicelli pudding)

This is a pudding/ payasam I made some time back. Slightly different from the one I make normally.

Semiya/ vermicelli - 1 cup (roasted, or if not , lightly roast in 1 tsp ghee till golden brown)
Saboodana/ chowari/ sago - 1 tbsp
Water - 1 cup
Milk - 1 + 3 cups
Sugar - according to taste ( I used 1/2 cup because I do not like it very sweet)
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Chironji seeds - 1 tbsp (lightly roast the seeds)

Cook the semiya and the sago in 1 cup water and 1 cup milk till the sago is mostly translucent. Now add the sugar, cardamom powder and the rest of the milk and bring to a boil. Add the choronji seeds . You may add cashews and raisins lightly fried in ghee (clarified butter) instead of the chironji seeds to make the traditional semiya payasam

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I have never made mine with chironji seeds. Will try the next time.

    ReplyDelete