Monday, April 6, 2009

Coated and fried prawns in gravy


It has been a long time since we got some fresh prawns. I am very particular about sea-food and if it not very very fresh, I never buy them..

My friend had gone to a market which was more than an hour's drive from our place, as she had a party, and she got me some prawns and fish ...So I thought I would make something special. This was a curry that I had some years back at a restaurant and the colours and taste stayed with me. 
I have managed to passably recreate that taste..

Jumbo prawns - 1/2 kg (shelled, deveined with the tail intact)

Marinate the prawns for 1/2 an hour in 

Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Pepper - 1/2 tsp
Soy sauce - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste(be careful since the soy is salty)
Dried Thyme - 1/2 tsp

Coat the marinated prawns (separate the marinade) in 
Flour - 1/2 tsp
Paprika - 1/2 tsp
Salt - a pinch

Shallow fry the coated prawns. Keep aside

For the gravy, 

Onion - 1 (finely diced)
Tomato - 1 (finely diced)
Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Soy sauce- 1/2 tsp
Oregano - 1/2 tsp
Salt - if needed 

Saute the onions, garlic paste, tomatoes,once they go soft and the oil comes on top, add the chilli powder,soy sauce and the oregano. Now add the prawns and steam for about 3-5 minutes. 
Garnish with lemon juice - 1/2 tsp, ground black pepper and coriander (optional).

Great combination with jeera pulao or lemon rice.


8 comments:

  1. I recently started cooking with Shrimps, love them now. Good looking dish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...looks very yummy..my daughter loves shrimp too

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sound delicious and your right prawns have to be fresh or they cause aweful problems...but your look yummy!!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfect idea for good friday - no meat day here!! looks yummmm
    %*_*% rosey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh your food looks so delicious! What great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI swapna
    Looks so good I love shrimp .. Hope you are enjoying Spring in India(:)
    hugs,Patty

    ReplyDelete